Hewitt College provides an exciting alternative to the Traditional Transition Year. Our students can spend this year doing many things that will help them to mature, to develop key skills and to prepare for Leaving Certificate. For entry to the vast majority of third-level Degree programmes, English, Irish, Maths and a third Language are required for Matriculation purposes. Our Step Year Students can sit as many of these subjects as they wish at the end of 5th year.
However, this is NOT possible for students who complete Transition Year in a Department of Education school, due to State Examination Commission regulations.
Choosing a three year Leaving Certificate programme was one of the best decisions that I have ever made. Sitting English and Irish before my Leaving Certificate year allowed me to broaden my range of subjects and focus on improving my CAO points total. I am now studying Pharmacy in RCSI, and know that this system really helped me to achieve my potential.
- To enable students to complete matriculation subjects by the end of 5th year, leaving them free to concentrate on their stronger subjects in 6th year.
- To allow students access to a wider range of subjects at Leaving Certificate level.
- To allow students to sit as many Higher level subjects as possible.
- To provide students with the opportunity to gain experience of the examination arena.
- To facilitate each individual’s growth and development.
Also, we can create a unique programme tailored to your child’s strengths, interests and career options. Simply, call us to arrange a consultation with our Principal, Patricia McGrath.